Summer is here! It’s time for longer days, car trips and airplane flights, relaxing vacations, and much more time for reading!
Students entering grades 6, 7, or 8 need to read at least one book from the Summer Reading Lists. But, why not read more?
For Raiders entering grades 7 or 8, the library is offering the READING WITHOUT WALLS Summer Reading Challenge. The goal is explore the world through books! Here’s how it works:
- Read books about a character that looks or lives differently than you, or
- Read books about a topic you don’t know much about, or
- Read books in a format that is not your typical choice, such as an audiobook, graphic novel, or novel in verse.
Print the reading list, and list the books you read this summer that take you beyond your walls. The challenge is to read at least 8 READING WITHOUT WALLS books by the end of the summer.
If you are on social media, post a photo of each book you read with the hashtag #ReadingWithoutWalls and tag @hpmislibrary (on Twitter) or @hpraiderlibrary (on Instagram) to give others reading ideas.
Readers who meet the challenge and turn their reading sheets into the Raider Library by Friday, September 1 will be invited to a special celebration and eligible to win additional prizes!
Raiders entering 5th or 6th grade are invited to participate in the BLUEBONNET SUMMER READING CHALLENGE! The goal is to read at least 10 books from the Texas Bluebonnet Award Master List to get a head start on Bluebonnet reading.
Bluebonnet Readers should print and complete a reading list and turn it into the Raider Library by Friday, September 1. These students will also be invited to a special celebration and eligible to win additional prizes!
Check out the books on OverDrive, at the public library, or wherever you can get them! If you need reading ideas, here are a few places to look:
- ALSC Summer Reading List
- Scholastic’s 50 Best Books for Summer (This list covers ideas for readers in grades PreK – 8th, so search for the ones for the upper grade levels. There are super books on the list, so it’s worth the dig!)
- Scholastic Summer Reading Book List (This list is organized by age.)
- Young Adult’ Choices Reading List 2017 (Some Raiders helped create this list by reading and sharing their ratings.)
Read on, Raiders!